Overview of Yoga
Yoga is one of the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy and is native to India. Yoga for kids is a great way to increase your flexibility and strength. It has shown tremendous health benefits in the physical and mental development of kids, especially in the toddler age group. Yoga has several different poses known as Asanas and it is recommended to take proper guidance or training to learn the pose for yoga. Nowadays yoga for kids is very common and you can find an institute nearby or learn through the online web portals for practice sessions. It can be performed for the mental. physical, and spiritual well being for the kids. Yoga is considered to be originated since Rigveda and you can choose various forms of yoga such as hot yoga, Hatha yoga, Kundalini yoga, Ashtanga yoga, Nude yoga, and water yoga. You can divert the energy levels of kids to a positive way of life through which they can learn a lot of things and can prevent negative distractions, overstimulation, and temptations.
Benefits of Yoga for Kids
Yoga for kids has numerous benefits and we have specified some of the commonly reported benefits underneath:
- They start knowing their body weakness and strength
- Kids can destress their mind and body by doing yoga regularly
- Recent studies prove that kids who do yoga for 30 minutes regularly have shown tremendous positive results in academics
- They can increase their concentration abilities and also boost confidence levels
- You can divert them from smartphones, tablet, and electronic gadgets
- They interact with new people and encourages healthy habits for the wellbeing
- Yoga supports positive mental development and health
- It promotes the inclusivity in kids
Precautions of Yoga for Kids
Yoga for kids is safe and can be performed by any age group kid however, it is recommended to take some precautions to avoid any injury and we have specified the common precautions underneath:
- Yoga for kids should be performed under expert supervision only
- Guardian or Parent should accompany them to the classes as it will make their bond much stronger and they will be safe too
- Kids with the physical and mental disorder should take precautions to do yoga as some of the poses can aggravate or worsen the problem such as asthma, bronchitis, migraine, fracture, and spasm
- Physical activity should not be limited to yoga only as it cannot replace the cardiovascular activity benefits even if you do yoga regularly
Basic pose of Yoga for Kids
Yoga for kids can be performed by various poses however, we have specified the best common pose underneath:
- Bow Pose – It is the most simple yoga pose for kids and has numerous benefits such as stretching ankles, abdomen muscles, thighs, back muscles especially spinal, and internal organs.
How to do it: Lie down on yoga mat flat on your chest, slowly bend your both knees upwards and exhale. Now hold your ankles with hands, raise your thighs and chest as much as possible. Maintain your body weights on the abdomen and keep breathing appropriately for best results.
- Bridge Pose – A very common yoga poses for kids and can be very beneficial in stretching and strengthening your body parts such as buttocks(glutes), chest, neck, thighs, and hamstrings. It also improves the blood circulation in the body and alleviates the stress and depression.
How to do it: Lie on your back flat on a yoga mat, bend both knees and place the feet flat on the floor hip-width apart. Lift the hip upwards keeping your feet stable on the floor. Now lift your chest by pressing down the shoulder and arms for the support. Breathe and try to hold this position for 5 seconds then repeat.
- Cobra Pose – You can decrease the stiffness in your back by doing cobra pose as it helps in stretching the back, abdomen, shoulder, and neck muscles. It is beneficial to increase the flexibility and mobility of bones in kids
How to do it: Lie down flat on your chest on a yoga mat then lift your chest by placing your palms on the floor beneath the shoulder for the support. Lift your chest as much as possible or till your hands are straight enough. Do not lift your legs and buttocks for the appropriate pose.
- Downward Facing Dog Pose – Best pose to relax the mind and alleviate the energy levels by just doing downward facing dog pose regularly. You can stretch your shoulder, abdomen, neck, and back to avoid any injury.
How to do it: Lie down on the floor flat on your abdomen and lift your knees keeping it below the hip level and hands slightly forward to your shoulder, Exhale and lift your knees away from the floor. Hold this position and do not forget to keep breathing for best results.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this article is to be construed as medical advice, nor it is intended to replace the recommendations of a medical professional. For specific questions, please consult a specialist for the advice.