Overview of Figs
Figs are scientifically known as Ficus Carica and come from species of flowering plant in the mulberry family. It is native to the middle east and western Asia however, it is available worldwide with great demand for consumption and other uses. Figs are commonly known as ‘Anjeer”. Ficus Carica grows to the height of 22 -24 feet in large shrubs with smooth whitebarks. Figs are cultivated in moderate and colder climatic conditions. It is available in July through September in abundance however, now figs can be purchased throughout the year in some places due to the well-equipped storage warehouses. Figs are used in numerous ways such as sugar substitute, pies, puddings, baked goods, preservatives, and eaten raw as well. It is full of nutritional properties like anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-bacterial, and anti-oxidant which have numerous health benefits. Figs contain the blend of rich Vitamins and Minerals as studies suggest. It is recommended to select full ripe, tender, and plump with deep color in nature. You should store them in the refrigerator when bought home however, keep them in a room temperature before consuming at least 2 hours. Figs have a chewy texture, sweet taste, and soft in nature with edible seeds.
You can use dried figs(Anjeer) which have excellent nutrition and benefits. Dried figs(Anjeer) can also be used for cooking, baking, and eating raw however, its packaging varies from the fresh fruit. Several recipes have dried figs(Anjeer) as the key ingredient for better taste and recipe mixture.
Nutritional value of Figs
Figs(Anjeer) contain the various nutritional values which are beneficial for health in many ways. We have specified the general nutritional value per 100 gram underneath:
|Vitamin K||4.7 microgram|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin A||142 IU|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
**Above mentioned values are for reference and may from the actual value.
Health Benefit of Figs
Figs(Anjeer) have numerous health benefits as reported in studies. We have specified the best and frequently reported health benefits of it underneath:
- Prevents Hypertension – It is an extreme situation of blood pressure exerted against the walls of the blood vessels causing severe problems such as coronary disease or blockage, kidney disease, and nerve problem but figs can be used to relieve hypertension due to the nutritional value of high potassium and low sodium which is a tremendous blend of nutrition in preventing hypertension
- Anti-Oxidant – Figs are the rich source of polyphenols which is known for its anti-oxidant properties. You can stave off the aging, cancer, and other severe diseases. It is advisable to eat figs in a moderate portion for best results
- Weight Loss – Yes that’s true, it can be very beneficial to consume figs to speed up the process of weight loss as it contains the high content of dietary fiber which stimulates the digestion and absorption of nutrients in the body however, it is recommended to consume it in a moderate portion due to the high composition of calorie which can cause weight gain if not consumed appropriately
- Bones – Being a rich source of calcium it can strengthen the bone density and prevent bone rupture or fractures. Simultaneously, it contains phosphorus which stimulates the bone formation and revives the damage if caused due to any reason naturally
- Control Diabetes – You can reduce the artificial insulin use through injections by using fig leaves regularly or as advised by the specialist as they are a rich source of potassium which increases the sugar absorption in the body tremendously within few dosages however, dietary counseling is recommended if you’re a diabetic patient
- Coronary Diseases – Dried figs contains Omega 3, Omega 6, and Phenols fatty acids which can prevent severe coronary diseases such as heart stroke, heart problem, cholesterol, and arteries blockage
- Alzheimer – Due to the properties of anti-inflammatory in nature figs can prevent the Alzheimer problem because it stimulates the neuroinflammation and reduces the risk of Alzheimer disease
- Immune System – Figs are a rich source of antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which stimulate the immune system and acts as a natural booster to prevent several health problems and combat the attack from free radicals
- Anti-Wrinkle – We all go through this problem of wrinkles on the face but we try using cream, lotions etc to fill those wrinkles and revive the smoothness of skin however, figs can prevent and revive the wrinkle gaps due to the properties of antioxidant and anti-collagenase in nature as suggested by the specialist
Side Effects of Figs
Figs(Anjeer) is safe and well tolerated by the individuals however, some of the studies suggest the side effect of consuming it in a moderate and excess quantity of figs. We have specified some of the side effects underneath:
- Indigestion – As reported, it is heavy to digest and absorb in the body due to the high composition of nutrition. It can cause severe indigestion problem which needs medical attention and treatment
- Skin problem – Figs have numerous skin benefits however, excess consumption of it can create sun sensitivity problem to skin especially UV rays which can cause skin rashes, reddishness, and blisters in extreme side effects
- Intestine Blockage – Seeds of fig can create a mild blockage in intestine tract if not absorbed or well digested in the body. It is a very rare side effect as reported due to the severity of the side effect
- Calcium Absorption – It contains the high content of oxalates which has adverse effects on calcium absorption in the body. It can create a hindrance in the calcium deficiency it is recommended to take advice before consuming it if you have any prior calcium deficiency problem or disease
- Bleeding – Figs are very warm and heavy in nature which can cause rectal bleeding, retinal bleeding, and vaginal bleeding but is caused mainly due to the excess consumption of it and side effect of bleeding can be observed within few hours or time
**It is recommended to consult a specialist if you observe any of the above-mentioned side effects on priority.
To buy click on the link mentioned below:
Tulsi Dry Fig Anjeer Zaika, 500g
Disclaimer: Nothing in this article is to be construed as medical advice, nor it is intended to replace the recommendations of a medical professional. For specific questions, please consult a specialist for the advice.