Overview of Diarrhea
Diarrhea is defined as the frequent loose or watery stools that can lead to severe discomfort and other health problem if not treated timely. The exact causes of diarrhea vary from individuals such as bacteria, virus, parasites, and other induced infection however, proper diagnose treatment is suggested to identify the root cause of the abdominal discomfort. You can prevent the problem by simple lifestyle and precautionary changes. Usually, diarrhea lasts for 2 -3 days but if infection persists more than this period then it should be considered as the warning sign of severe abdominal or digestion problem that needs to be consulted by the specialist to avoid any further complication. Don’t be stressed if you are facing the problem as it can be treated by simple natural catholicons at home.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
Diarrhea is a watery stool however, it is accompanied with other symptoms which vary from individuals and severity of the problem. We have specified the commonly reported symptoms underneath:
- Abdominal cramps
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
- Blood or pus in stool
Causes of Diarrhea
Diarrhea is caused due to several factors as reported and we have specified the commonly reported cause for it underneath:
- Bacteria – It can be transmitted through contaminated food or water and commonly reported causes of bacterial infection include campylobacteria, salmonella, Shigella, and Escherichia
- Virus – Similarly, the virus can be transmitted through numerous ways and known virus causes of diarrhea are Norwalk virus, cytomegalovirus, and viral hepatitis
- Parasitic organism – The known causes of the parasitic organism are Giardia lamblia and cryptosporidium
- Food poisoning – When you eat the contaminated food due to poor sanitation or stored at the wrong temperature and toxins enter your body causing a severe health problem
- Gastrointestinal infection – If not treated timely, the gastrointestinal infection can cause severe diarrhea
- Microscopic colitis – Usually old individual faced this due to the irritation caused in the lining of the colon and disease associated with microscopic colitis such as rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune disease
- Malabsorptive – The primary reason of malabsorptive is the inability of the small intestine to absorb the nutrients such as protein, carbs, and other essential nutrients
- Drug-induced infection – The excess use of drugs or medicines such as antibiotics which damages both bacteria good and bad which disturb the natural process of intestine causing severe diarrhea problem
- Food allergy – Few individuals are allergic to food such as gluten, peanut, sugar, and other edible products. After consuming it you may experience the watery stools within few hours as digestive system triggers the allergic reaction in the body
- Lactose intolerance – A very commonly reported health problem reported by individuals is lactose intolerance because the digestion system cannot absorb the natural sugar found in milk and other dairy products
- Crohn’s disease – It is a chronic bowel disease which causes inflammation in the digestive tract that stimulates the digestive system to watery stools
- Colon cancer – Also known as colorectal cancer that starts in the rectum or lower part of the digestive system can trigger chronic watery stool problem
- Celiac disease – The intolerance to gluten by the individual can lead to severe diarrhea problem within a few hours of consumption
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Studies suggest that IBS can stimulate the watery stools and other chronic abdominal disorders
- Traveler’s diarrhea – If you travel to tropical countries and consume contaminated food then you may face diarrhea problem
Treatment for Diarrhea
Diarrhea can be treated and controlled within a few days or hours so you don’t have to panic. We have specified some of the best treatment for it underneath:
- Anti-Diarrheal medicines such as loperamide and Pepto-Bismol
- Rehydrate your body with drinking plenty of fluids such as water, broth, juices, and hydrating drinks
- BRAT diet which means low fiber diet like Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast
- Blood and stool test helps in identifying the exact cause of diarrhea
- Antibiotics are prescribed only to cure bacterial infection induced diarrhea
- Probiotics are live bacteria and yeast that are good for your digestive system and control the infection
**Above mentioned treatment varies from the severity of the problem and should be consulted to a specialist for the accurate treatment. Self-medication or treatment is strictly discouraged.
Natural remedies for Diarrhea
Diarrhea can be cured through natural remedies at home and we have specified some of the best remedies underneath:
A soup consisting of meat or vegetables cooked in stock that will replace the salts and minerals lost in diarrhea naturally. You can consume 100 ml of broth every half hour and take a sip of it for best results.
If you are experiencing nausea with watery stools then ginger tea is the ideal choice for you as it stimulates the digestive enzymes to enhance the digestion process and function naturally however, excess consumption of ginger tea can worsen the situation so it is advisable to consult a specialist before consumption.
Since ages, honey is being used for the treatment of numerous health problems due to the high amount of medicinal properties that heals the damage caused in the intestine and infection naturally. Consume 1 tsp of organic honey thrice a day.
Buttermilk is usually prescribed in Ayurvedic treatment as it hydrates and soothes the inflammation caused by the infection that leads to a watery stool. It is recommended to drink 250 ml of buttermilk thrice a day.
You can replace the traditional ways of hydrating the body by drinking the rice water thrice a day. Boil handful of rice in water and strain out the rice. Pour the water in a jar and drink 50 ml after every meal or thrice a day.
High Fiber Diet
Increase the intake of high fiber diets such as banana, potatoes, dark color vegetables, beans, bread, and grains as it binds the stool and stops the frequent watery stools within a few days.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Drink ACV 5 ml twice a day with lukewarm water for bacterial-induced diarrhea as it contains the pectin and antibiotic properties that have shown the tremendous results in controlling the watery stools however, excess consumption or severe acid reflux problem can trigger the abdominal problem to worsen.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this article is to be construed as medical advice, nor it is intended to replace the recommendations of a medical professional. For specific questions, please consult a specialist for the advice.