Overview of Zucchini
Are you fed up of eating green vegetables? then Zucchini is for you. It will not only fulfill your daily nourishment but it has numerous health benefits as reported in various studies. Zucchini is a member of the gourd family and is easily available during the summertime. It grows in bushy plants that are 2 ½ feet tall, with rambling vines. Available in many varieties such as pattypan squash, crookneck squash, zephyr squash, scousa squash, round zucchini, and tatuma squash. It is used in culinary dishes, for salads and even for topping.
How healthy is zucchini?
Zucchini is low in calories with a lot of nutrition such as carbohydrates, fiber, protein, vitamin C, potassium, and manganese. Other vitamins present in lesser quantities include vitamin A, vitamin E, thiamin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. We have specified some of the reported nutritional value per 100 gram of finely chopped Zucchini underneath:
|Amount per serving||Quantity|
|Vitamin C||3 mg|
|Vitamin B6||4 mg|
|Vitamin K||4 mg|
**Above mentioned nutritional value is for reference and may vary from the actual value.
What are the benefits of eating zucchini?
Zucchini has numerous benefits which we are not aware of. Recent studies have reported tremendous health benefits from eating Zucchini in the diet. We have specified the 15 best benefits of eating Zucchini underneath:
- Weight Loss – If you are following a healthy diet regime to shed those extra pounds from the body then we recommend adding Zucchini in your diet to elevate the result. It contains high dietary fiber with a minimal amount of calorie which helps to burn fat at a higher rate with improved digestion to reduce weight at a much faster and appropriate way
- Heart Health – Zucchini is low in cholesterol, sodium, and fat to maintain the heart health by providing the optimum level of nutrition in the body. Recent research has proven that consuming zucchini regularly significantly lowers the risk of developing strokes, hypertension, and heart disease
- Curing Asthma – It contains anti-inflammatory properties which help in combating respiratory diseases especially asthma as it is a great source of vitamin C and copper to reduce the inflammation and reduce the mucus level in respiratory organ
- Controlling Diabetes – Are you struggling to control diabetes Zucchini is for you as it’s a non-starchy and dietary fiber food which replete with delay glucose absorption and help the patients with diabetes to control it naturally
- Eye health – Being a rich source of lutein, Beta-carotene phytonutrients which are converted into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential in the development of active cells in the body and maintaining good eye vision
- Enhances Digestion – We all face constipation or bloating and are fed up of trying medication to cure indigestion problem, is it right! Then add Zucchini in your diet, it contains essential nutrients and electrolytes which protect the human body from bacterial or enzymes attacks in the intestine causing digestion problems. Moreover, it contains the anti-inflammatory properties to reduce the inflammation for better digestion. Being a rich source of natural high water content properties makes it the best source to cure indigestion problem naturally
- Strengthens Bones and Teeth – It has several nutrients available such as Vitamin K which helps in strengthening bones and teeth naturally
- Preventing Gout – Consuming vitamin C rich diet helps in preventing gout especially in men as it helps in lowering serum uric acid levels via a process called the uricosuric effect. Zucchini contains one of the highest Vitamin C nutritional value to prevent Gout in the body
- Balance Thyroid and Adrenaline – Being rich in manganese, a mineral that promotes the optimal functioning of the thyroid gland and also, the presence of polyphenols and ascorbic acid in extracts taken from the peel of zucchini helps in balancing thyroid and adrenaline
- Aids Collagen Formation – It elevates the production of choline, which is an amino acid that helps with collagen formation to have healthy and glowing skin
- Prevent Colon Cancer – Many factors can cause colon cancer however, Zucchini helps in the absorption of excess water in the colon and flushing out the excess water out of the body to prevent colon cancer as studies suggest. It is known for the natural dietary fibers which can improve the functioning of the colon to have a healthier life
- Anti Aging – You must have tried many anti-creams, night creams, lotion etc… but zucchini can slow down the aging process naturally as it contains the anti-oxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin. These two anti-oxidants carotenoids exhibit the best anti-aging properties. You can lighten the discoloration of the skin caused by the aging process as well
- Pregnancy – Gynecologist recommends eating dark green vegetables during gestation (pregnancy) period to provide the B-complex Vitamin, folic acid, and elevate the red blood cells production naturally. Recent studies have shown positive results in the health of pregnant woman and in the development of the embryo as deficiency of folic acid can cause spina bifida and anencephaly which can be prevented by consuming Zucchini
- Prostate Cancer – You can improve the health of prostate gland by eating zucchini as it contains the beta-carotenoid and Vitamin C nutrients which help in preventing the prostate cancer by reducing the oxidative DNA damage and eliminating the prostate cancer cells naturally
- Brain function and Memory Booster – We all know that Zucchini is the best source of folic acid which is known to improve and enhance the development of brain and memory by reviving the production of DNA and RNA
Is zucchini bad?
Zucchini is not bad for health as it is grown through the natural process however, some studies suggest that zucchini can cause some health problems which have been specified underneath:
- Kidney Stones – It contains oxalates while human body produce oxalates naturally in the body, an excess of oxalates can crystallize, leading to the kidney stones which can be treated but it can create a severe problem which requires immediate specialist attention for the treatment
- Pesticide Residue – Excess consumption of Zucchini may develop pesticide residue in the body which can cause severe health problems such as skin rashes, eyes problem, indigestion or stomach upset problem, and neuro problem
- Infant – Zucchini is not recommended for infants as it contains the high content of nutrients which may develop allergies and indigestion problems in the infant, Consult a specialist before using it
- Cooking purpose – It is advisable to balance the water content in the recipe as Zucchini contains the excess water content properties which can spoil your recipe if not prepared by taking the precautions
- Allergic conditions – As suggested by the recent studies eating zucchini may develop allergic conditions in the body such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, skin rashes, and abdominal pain. We recommend you take precautions while eating zucchini regularly
Is zucchini a Superfood?
It won’t be contradictive to call Zucchini a superfood as it can provide the daily nutritional levels like Vitamins, Minerals, and other nutrients to the body such as carbohydrates, fiber, protein, vitamin C, potassium, Vitamin K, folic acid, selenium, protein, carbohydrates, and manganese. It elevates the immune system functioning, regulate the cholesterol levels followed by other health benefits in the body. You can consider eating zucchini raw, grilled, roasted, grated as dressing, and cooked in curry for the fantabulous healthy benefits.
How many calories in zucchini?
Zucchini contains 17 grams of calories per 100 gram or 1 cup of finely chopped Zucchini. Whether you are targeting to shed extra pounds or planning to get fit it can help you in every aspect. You can consider eating it in the salads, soups, culinary, and grilled recipes without any calorie concern.
Eating raw zucchini?
Surprisingly, eating raw Zucchini is totally safe as it contains the best source of dietary fibers and nutritionally values which can provide several health benefits. It may taste slightly bitter if you eat it in raw form however, it is recommended to eat zucchini raw for more benefits as we know sometimes cooking can reduce the nutrient level of the vegetable due to the sudden temperature change and additional ingredients in the recipes.
Follow this link to buy:
Go Green Squash, Zucchini Yellow Long Seeds (Pack of 30 seeds)
Disclaimer: Nothing in this article is to be construed as medical advice, nor it is intended to replace the recommendations of a medical professional. For specific questions, please consult a specialist for the advice.